Firstly, I do hope you can see the humour in the featured image on this post. This is me heavily pregnant resting a plate of food on my belly and enjoying the weight off my legs. Obviously I am not doing this on a regular basis in my free time!
Back to the topic being discussed.. So you want to paint your toenails or perhaps go to the toilet on your own?
Whether it’s to just get the essentials done like shower, do the laundry and clean the floor, or even spend an hour doing something for ourselves; like working on a hobby, catching up on sleep or painting our toenails, we need time to do this.
Creating free time with babies and toddlers
- Use a baby gym where you can rotate toys
- Invest in a bouncer seat
- Purchase a Jolly Jumper or Jumperoo type device
- Use a walker (Some people believe using walkers is detrimental to normal development like crawling and walking and this is fine, it’s personal choice)
- Have high chair time each day where they read books or play with toys
- Half an hour TV time in the high chair twice a day (Too much TV can create a snooty grumpy toddler, but there’s nothing wrong with a bit of playschool and its fabulous when they find their favourite TV shows!)
- Use a play pen in the morning or evening (I recommend starting with 5 mins and building up to an hour)
- Once your child is feeding themselves, jobs can be done during meal or snack times. However, one meal a day should be spent together at the table as it helps toddlers learn table manners and encourages family time
- Work towards predictable nap times this way if you have two small children you should be able to get them to nap at the same time, giving you up to two hours of free time. Once your child stops napping during the day you can continue the quiet time in their room to read books
- Have a set naptime such as 7:30pm so evenings is for adult time. Having a good routine should allow you to achieve this
With all those options, it gives us several hours of the day to do the essentials or whatever you please. Do you have any other suggestions? I’d love to hear your tips.